If you are over 40, and you have spent much time scouring online dating sites, you may be wondering whether there are any lesbians your age who seriously want to find a long term relationship. The Internet seems to be full of young twenty-something lesbians looking for everything from casual encounters to long-term love. Yet, when it comes to the more mature crowd, quality dating prospects may seem few and far between. Here are some tips to find a like-minded woman your own age through an online dating service.
1. Place your own ad. If you were intimidated by the amount of younger posters compared to ones from women your own age, then consider that you might not be the only one. By making the first move, you will likely get responses from many women who will probably confide that they were too shy to post their own ad.
2. Make your ad title specific to your audience. Remember that most online dating sites get hundreds or even thousands of new ads every day, so it is not uncommon for people to skim through ad titles without clicking on and actually reading each individual ad. Put your title to good use by making it specific, rather than using your title as a clever line. If you want to be witty, you can do that in the body of the ad. An ad title of "Looking for Someone to Love" will be more apt to get passed over by your target audience than an ad that says "Affectionate 40+ Woman Seeks Same."
3. Write a genuine ad. You want your ad to reflect your personality and desires in order to appeal to the type of woman you want to attract. Many people get so caught up in trying to make their ads sound impressive that they forget to be themselves. If your goal in using an online dating service is to find someone to eventually share your life with, then be truthful and sincere when describing yourself and what you want. Being dishonest or fake will only waste your time.
4. Be honest with yourself when reviewing responses. Once you place your ad on a popular online dating site, you will quickly begin to receive responses. Once you begin reading the responses, you will most likely find that a good percentage of the people responding will not interest you. There is no good reason to waste your time, or the time of another person, by pursuing even an email relationship with anyone who does not appeal to you. Whether you delete and ignore such responses or send a brief polite reply letting these women know they are not your type is up to you. Save your time for the responses from women who truly do interest you.
5. Respond warmly to the good prospects. Tell her what you liked about her response and why you think the two of you might make a good match. Ask her any pertinent questions and make sure to answer any questions she asks.
6. If you click with someone, call her. Most people do not like to spend too much time going back and forth by email or chatting online. A phone call will help you better determine what she is really like and give you both the opportunity to set up a first date.
7. Make you first date casual. As much fun as it can be to get all dressed up for a night on the town, a casual meal or coffee at a local cafe is often a more practical first date option. That way, you are not committed to spending several hours with each other, and since you will be in a more comfortable environment, it will be easier to get to know each other.
Whether you find an immediate connection or it takes several tries to find a woman worth your time, meeting someone through an online dating service can feel awkward at any age. Try to enjoy the process and make some fond memories in the process.